Message from Councillor Jim Pickard: SWOX Moves Towards Zero Waste
2/3/2021 9:27:16 AM
In April 2020 a Zero Waste Committee was assembled with representatives from council, SWOX staff, the fire department and members from our local hall and parks boards.
The purpose of the committee was to define zero waste, facilitate the transition, develop a communication plan, explore methods and options available and report to council on results. The Zero Waste Committee made recommendations to council in October 2020 which council approved. All Township owned Hall and Park facilities will be phased into Zero Waste by January 1, 2022.
Phase 1 - Staffed Facilities – winter 2021
Phase 2 - Township Halls – Summer 2021
Phase 3 – Township Parks – Fall 2021
Zero Waste is defined as:
- A goal to change practices to match sustainable cycles where discarded materials become a resource
- Select products to avoid and eliminate volume and toxicity of waste
- Conserve and recover resources and not burn or bury them
- Eliminate discharges to land, water and air
- Keep all items in continuous cycle through composting, recycling or reusing
- Signage at waste centres and in washrooms
- Adequate colour coded waste and recycling containers
- Green cones
- Collection bins
- Compostable bags
- Wheeled recycling containers for Halls
Municipal Council wishes to assure our Hall and Parks Committees of its full support in obtaining the materials needed to make these changes happen and cover the costs. By working together the people of South West Oxford will move closer to achieving our Zero Waste goal.
Climate change is a serious issue. We have only one planet to save!