The West Oxford United Church was the first organized Church in the County of Oxford, at that time "Oxford-on-the-Thames". It was organized in August 1804 as the Episcopal Methodist Church of America. The first log Church was burned by the Westbrook Raiders during the War of 1812-14. Undaunted, the settlers now attended services conducted in a log schoolhouse at about the same location as the present West Oxford Church. Approx 1 acre was purchased on November 29, 1823 from John Galloway and a frame chapel was built. In 1854 the current brick church was erected.
Many of the original settlers of the district are buried here. A number of these settlers came to the district in the 1790's. The original survey and burial records of this Cemetery was lost in a fire in Ingersoll in 1856, no other survey was made and very sketchy records exist. There are no lots for sale.
The Cemetery was deeded to the Township of South - West Oxford in 1970 and is a pioneer Cemetery.
Restoration of the cemetery was started in the fall of 1970 and completed in 1972.